Flip Out for the Real MAGIC Marker! Grade 2
· Using a variety of art tools and mediums
· Roofing felt cut it into small pieces about 6”x9”
· Construction paper crayons
· Bar soap cut into pieces to be used for drawing
· Water in a sink or shallow tub
· Paper towels
· A coloring book with simple drawings
· A book with very simple art works
This was a 2 week project. Show the coloring book to the class and discuss. Talk about outlines and teach word “contour”. Then compare the coloring book drawings with the fine art print. Demo how to use the special marker ( a piece of soap…but they do not know this!!) to draw like the coloring book, a very simple drawing. Suggest things to draw or brainstorm ideas. Talk about the roofing felt and note the difference in the texture of it as compared to a piece of art paper. Pass supplies. Students draw using the “magic marker” and then color the object and the background being sure to leave the special white marker lines showing. When they are done, the students will place the art in the water in the sink. They will hold it down, rub gently with their hands over the art while they say “Magic marker go away! Magic marker go away!”. When they lift out the art from the water all the white has washed off and left behind bright black lines of the roofing felt. It seems the water makes the construction paper crayons brighter also. Then students dry off the art with a paper towel. They really believe it is magic. I love to listen to their reactions! Too cute!
- LaNell Clark
- Go Ape Over Corrugated Cardboard!
- Razzle my Berries!
- Like Crazy, Gnomes and Gnomettes!
- Flip out for the real MAGIC marker! Gr 2
- Like WOW!!! Little Lichtenstein Easels (Grade 5)
- Great Graters! (Grade 5)
- Cool Dubuffet Sculptures! Gr. 5
- Right O! Sure! It’s “real” leather?
- Make the Scene Gr.3
- What's Buzzin' Creatures Gr K/1
- Leena Elmore
- Holly Bess Kincaid
- Dawn Laird
- Maryanna Rudecki
- Craig Russell